Download WhatsApp Plus Reborn with New Anti-Ban Feature
If you’ve been struggling to find a working download for WhatsApp Plus in the past year or so, or had problems with your official WhatsApp account being banned because you used WhatsApp Plus, your frustrations are finally over. After a long drawn out legal with official WhatsApp developers, WhatsApp Plus is back and better than ever before. Mere days ago the latest version of the new and improved WhatsApp Plus Reborn was released for Android (no word yet on iOS). Here’s what you need to know about the two applications, the legal battle, and the ultimate victory for WhatsApp Plus and Android users everywhere.
WhatsApp vs. WhatsApp Plus
- Visual customization: lots of different options to personalize the look of your chats, with tons of color schemes and ready-made themes available to give you a unique chatting experience in WhatsApp Plus.
- Extra privacy settings: ability to hide your message status from the sender, in other words, hide the second “message received” check mark and/or the blue “message read” check mark.
- Improved multimedia messages: sending picture messages without compressing the image file, resulting in higher quality images in WhatsApp Plus messages, plus a huge 50MB limit for video files and the ability to send more than 10 photos at a time.
- Better library of smileys, emoticons, Emojis and stickers.
WhatsApp Plus was strictly unofficial, and couldn’t be downloaded through the normal channels like Google Play Store. But people loved the extra control they had over the application, which otherwise looked, felt and acted just like the WhatsApp they had become attached to. That’s when things started to get ugly.
WhatsApp Plus legal battle
The official WhatsApp team was understandably upset by the success of this unofficial spin-off app, particularly because it meant they would lose out on their small but consistent annual subscription fee of $0.99 from each user that switched to WhatsApp Plus. WhatsApp Plus was also using a legally registered name and code without the permission of the original developers. So they called their lawyers, and in January 2015, WhatsApp issued an official “cease and desist” notice to the developers behind WhatsApp Plus. WhatsApp Plus users were banned from the WhatsApp service for 24 hours because having the unofficial app violated their terms of service. WhatsApp Plus was eventually completely banned, and you can still find lots of websites with broken download links or notes at the bottom of the page saying, “Download links removed: WhatsApp Plus has been banned”.
By some miracle, WhatsApp+ has made a comeback as of late December, 2015. The logo, which was once green and identical to the official one, is now a blue version of the same. It has all of the same great features as before, plus some updates to many translations and other technical fixes. But most importantly, WhatsApp Plus Reborn has a new anti-ban feature to prevent a repeat of the January 2015 fiasco.
You still have to download WhatsApp Plus from third party sites, as it is still unofficial and therefore not available to download from Google Play Store or the iTunes App Store. Read on to learn how to install WhatsApp Plus for Android smartphones.
Downloading WhatsApp Plus
Before we get started with the download, there is something you should know about WhatsApp Plus: because it’s an unofficial, third party app, WhatsApp can’t guarantee the safety of the code or the privacy of your information. It’s possible that WhatsApp Plus may transfer your personal information, chats and other data to third parties without your knowledge. It’s also worth noting that the official WhatsApp application has since added some of the most popular features of WhatsApp Plus, such as hiding the blue checkmarks that let the send know you’ve read their message, “last seen” status, and changing chat backgrounds. That being said, if you have your heart set on downloading the newly reborn WhatsApp Plus and are willing to assume the risk, here’s how to do it:
How to install WhatsApp Plus on Android
Basically, what we are going to do is back up all of your chats and contact information in your official WhatsApp application, completely delete and uninstall that application, download and install WhatsApp Plus from the web, and restore your chats and contacts. Here are the step by step instructions:
- To back up your chats in WhatsApp, open the official application and open the drop down menu from your Chats screen. Tap on “Chats and Calls”, and then select “Chat backup”. Make sure the account information is correct, and hit the green button that says “BACK UP”. If you don’t do this step, you will lose all of your old chats after you install WhatsApp Plus.
- After the backup is finished, you need to fully uninstall WhatsApp. This is extremely important: you can’t have both applications installed on your device at the same time. One way to uninstall WhatsApp is to go to your Android device’s settings, go to the Apps tab, select “WhatsApp” and tap on “Uninstall”. Confirm that you do, in fact, want to uninstall the application if prompted.
- Next, you need to change your Android’s security settings so that you can install the WhatsApp Plus APK file from the internet (.apk is the file extension for Android applications). Your phone’s default settings only allow you to install apps from Google Play Store for safety reasons. Change this by going to your device’s settings and locate “Security” under the General tab. Scroll down until you find the option labeled “Unknown Sources”, and check the box next to this option. Without this box checked, you won’t be able to install WhatsApp Plus.
- Now it’s time to find a WhatsApp Plus APK download link on a website that looks trustworthy. Tap on the link to download the file to either your Android device’s internal storage or your SD card.
- When the WhatsApp Plus file is finished downloading, open the file to install it. You may be able to do this by tapping on the “download complete” notification, or you can use a file manager application to locate the downloaded WhatsApp Plus file and open it. Follow the onscreen instructions to install WhatsApp Plus.
- You’ll have to enter your phone number just like you did when you first installed the official WhatsApp application.
- A window will pop up asking if you want to restore your chats (the ones you backed up in Step 1). Most people will want to do this – just tap “Restore”, and all of the messages that you backed up will be transferred to your new WhatsApp Plus application.
- Congratulations, you just installed WhatsApp Plus! You can use it just like regular WhatsApp, except you’ll find additional options for customization and privacy. Take a few minutes to explore the menus and settings to see what your options are, and have fun chatting!
In our blog we wrote the following articles about WhatsApp Plus: